ARTICLE: TOP TIPS FOR 2018!
Here are some top tips for helping you reach your health and fitness goals in 2018. I have split them into dieting and exercise because each involves a different approach and also because each of us have different priorities and may want to focus on one area more than another.
Top tips for dieting in 2018
- Add protein and lots of vegetables to your meals. It is very easy to have carb centred meals all the time and this not only leads to an excess in calories, but also to a lack of quality nutrition because meals are less balanced. By simply reducing the carbs and adding protein and vegetables you will reduce calories, increase nutrition and feel fuller for longer. A win win!
- Track what you eat. A food diary gets talked about a lot, but most people resist doing them because they seem time consuming. However, it is time well spent. In fact, even if you can commit to doing it for just 2 full weeks it will give you a real insight into what you are eating, including all the extra small treats that can really add up! I like to say the devil is in the detail because often main meals can be healthy, but you might not be losing weight because of the extra small treats, including anything from fizzy juice and alcohol to biscuits and crisps. Losing weight is not always about overhauling your whole diet it is about identifying small changes that can be cut out every single day, for example the mid afternoon snack or glass of wine after work.
- Make a plan. As a generation, we eat on the run too much and this always leads to extra calories because we prioritise convenience and speed over nutrition. It is absolutely vital that you plan out your meals and snacks for the week and then do the shopping to make sure you have all the right food in the house. If you do not do this you will very quickly slip back into old convenient habits. Again, like a food diary, a food plan seems like hassle, but I will guarantee it will take you 10 minutes to do and will save you far more than that throughout the week. It also takes away the stress of trying to think about what to prepare for dinner after a long day at work and saves you money from always buying costly convenience food.
Top tips for sticking to an exercise regime
- The best way to stick to an exercise regime is to plan one that fits in with your schedule. It is very noble to start the year by training 5-6 days a week, but if you cannot commit to that long term you will give up after just a few weeks. It is far better to train 3-4 times a week and be able to commit to that long term, week after week, month after month. Results come from consistency, not from a short sharp blast.
- Find something you like. I often get asked what class or workout programme burns the most calories, but long term that is not as important as finding something you enjoy and are willing to stick to.
- Team up with a friend to workout. The reality is that there are going to be days when you just do not feel like working out. It happens to even the most motivated at one point! Therefore, it can be good to have a friend to train with to help keep you motivated and on track when you really need it!
To keep up with more Diary of a Fit Bird Adventures follow me on social media:
Diary of a Fit Bird is written by the founder of The 4321 Method®. To find out more about our products go to:
The 4321 Method’s® Signature Collection
If you are enjoying the 6am workout, but would like to push yourself a bit harder, see bigger results or just generally get fitter, stronger and leaner then the The 4321 Method’s® Signature Collection might be for you! I designed the Signature Collection from my love of body weight training and from enjoying pushing myself further with my training. Sign up TODAY and challenge yourself to be your number 1!